Thursday, August 29, 2013

Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

8 years ago today my Grammie and I were on our way to Woodville Mississippi with toothbrushes and the clothes on our back. I remember packing and my grams said "girl you don't need to pack all that, we'll be back home tomorrow". Tomorrow turned into nine WHOLE months. 


Never in our minds did we think it was THAT BAD until CNN came across the television. The feeling is indescribable! We could not believe what was happening. We lost EVERYTHING including my great-grandmother in a blank of an eye. Some evacuated, some didn't. 


See people from New Orleans don't know anything about traveling. Some had never left the city, let along the state of Louisiana. I think that's what made it so bad. 

My mom was left stranded in the high waters to keep her job! **just thinking I could've lost my mom because she had to work, STILL burns me up to no end**


We couldn't come back home for months. I had just started my freshman year at my alma mater McDonogh 35. I was sooooo happy to enter high school.

 I remember crying everyday in Woodville because I. Did. NOT. Want. To. Be. There!!!!! 

I would travel there every summer to stay with grandma Bessie, but I knew at the end of July, I was headed back to the city. Y'all Woodville has NO RED LIGHTS! Yeah, enough said. 

I got to know a lot of my family, and I met the first boy I ever kissed. Woodville was ok, but there's nothing like HOME! 

New Orleans will NEVER be the same. We're still rebuilding (insert side eye). 

 I really appreciate Red Cross, FEMA, and all of the people that opened their homes and hearts up to us "refugees". 

With love,
BrittanyGabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment